Marathon Life

Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Physical

Yesterday (Friday) I went to the doctor for my annual check up. I discussed my several issues. First the hamstring. I told him it is probably 80% healed but has not gotten any better. I wasn't too concerned since now I have lower back pain. He said that if it was a nerve/disc issue I would have shooting pains down the back of my legs as well. I don't. So I felt better about that. I also told him about my toe and the fear that I had fractured it. He said that it's most likely a joint issue or a tendon issue but he will look at the X-rays and call me. He said rarely are there fractures in the actual toe itself. It's usually the bones that connect to the toes (metatarsals).

I have not run since Dec 31. It's been about 10 days. So my toe actually feels great now. There is minimal pain. My back is not hurting anymore. I believe this is because I have not been running. Although, I have been doing core work. I read an article in February's Runner's World that gives 5-6 lower back and abdominal exercises. I have been doing them every day or at least every other day. It discussed that lower back pain following long runs results from a weak core. I admit I only do crushes 2-3 times a week. If I do these better exercises I should be golden. I have not given up hope on Boston yet. I will wait for the x-ray result and if I don't have a fracture I will start to run next week.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Anthony at 11:15 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader