Marathon Life

Saturday, November 30, 2013

A painfully slower Father Joe's Thanksgiving 5K

Since my company was paying for yet another race as part of their Wellness program, I decided to sign up for a Thanksgiving day 5K race, the Father Joe's Villages 5K. I was debating if I should run it as I heard it was the same course as the Komen 5K on Nov 3, which I previously wrote about . That was my first official race since 2008. I was relatively happy with my 9th overall finish and 1st in my age division.

This race, however, was a completely different story. When I found out the day before that the course was not the same as Komen and didn't have the steep half mile hill at the end, I was so happy. I figured I could shave off some time from the 19:02 at Komen. Well, it didn't happen. After a fast first mile (5:50?), I struggled in the last half of the race, slowing down considerably and ended with a 19:40 finish. It wasn't all bad news though. The silver lining was that I placed 2nd in the 35-39 age group out of over 100 people in that division. I was 56th overall out of about 2,200 people. You can see my age division results here and overall results here

I realize it's only 38 seconds slower, but that's an eternity in a 5K race. I just didn't feel great from the start. Here's a breakdown of the mistakes I made from the start that affected my performance and how I can learn from it. Looking back on it, I clearly see why I finished slower.

1.  Too much caffeine: I made the mistake of having half of an Americano (made on my awesome new Breville espresso machine) an hour before the race. Normally, I don't like to consume a ton of caffeine before a race, but I figured it would help me get a burst of energy since I was tired from getting up at 6:20am. This plan backfired. The shot was so concentrated, I think it was too much and I didn't realize it.

2. Not enough food: I only ate a single slice of raisin bread instead of my usual cereal with milk. I didn't want to chance it with any dairy and racing hard (stomach issues). I should have stuck with my routine.

3. Lack of hydration. I didn't have enough water with breakfast. I should have had at least 16 oz of water. I had a few sips. I was worried about peeing, but there were porta-potties everywhere. The last race had tons of water at the starting line since the finish was also in the same area. My mouth was a bit dry right before we the start and I was super nervous. I should have brought the water bottle from my car with me, but didn't. So after about a minute of running, my mouth felt like a desert and chalky. It affected my breathing too. It was like I had no saliva in my mouth!! I have never had this happen to me before! It was scary and I started to panic. I was hoping there would be a water table at Mile 1, but I didn't see water until just before Mile 2. Too late.

So those three factors affected my performance in a major way. The course itself was not that bad. At the half mile mark there was a small hill. At 1.5 miles there was a larger, steeper rolling hill, but it was short. It was a relatively flat course that was WAY EASIER than the Komen. Figures

One last thing. Before the Komen race I did 2 "mock" 5Ks on the treadmill in the preceding weeks. This time I only did a few mile repeats on the treadmill at a faster clip, but not at my goal speed. And that was just once on the Monday night before the Thursday am race. I should have done more speed work to get my body acclimated to racing hard.

Now I know. Being out of competitive racing for 5 years has affected how I approach races. I forget the little things that can have a big impact on race day performance. You live and learn. There's always another 5K. I think I may try one in mid-December. We will see how I feel.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Anthony at 4:58 PM

5 Comments:

Blogger Nirit said...

Awesome that you are racing again! And blogging about it again! How great must at be to keep getting medals. One thing I don't see in your post is reports of pain. That's really good.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Anthony said...

Thanks so much Nirit! I am trying to get back into running and blogging about it. I really think my injury to my hamstring is gone. But I still need a lot of work in the speed dept. Hope you are well and thanks for reading!

9:12 PM  
Blogger donna loyds said...

Cement Industry Cement Plant, Cement Manufacturer, Cement Industry : Bharathi Cement is major manufacturers in cement industry India.

11:54 PM  
Blogger ben loyds said...

5 Star Hotels in Hyderabad Hotels In Hyderabad The Golkonda Best 5 Star hotel In Hyderabad :Golkonda hotel Hyderabads premier and Convention Center Offers rooms and suites,restaurants, and a lounge at comfort, quality and great value for money.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Robert Gomez said...

With a growing number of people using sites like Twitter and FaceBook, it's not enough for a company's website to be search engine optimization friendly, it must also be social media friendly. Furthermore, we should think about quality of the SEO not the quantity. Visit here for professional SEO companies.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader