Marathon Life

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Company Confidential

I am in a dilemma. There are things I want to write about on this blog that I would normally write about on my other Geocities blog since I had that one protected (only certain people had access to the URL). Now, this blog is public, out in the open for all to see. I want to be more open, but I can only be so honest. I can't be as confessional as I used to be in the early 2000s when I was updating my Geocities site like every day with various dramatic events (breakups, work dramas, etc).

I want to write about working at my new job that I started in May. I am working for a technology company. That is as specific as I will get on this blog. I have many observations I want to divulge. What I will say is this: I found something out today that did not thrill me - my company had a massive layoff last November and a significant percentage of employees were let go. Wow. I wish I had done my research. All this time I assumed that my company was immune to this recession. I guess I was mistaken.

It didn't make me feel safe. It didn't reassure me that picking up and moving to Orange County was a good decision. Are they going to do another round of layoffs this year? When? At the end of the third quarter? Will I be on the chopping block because I am such a new hire? There is another girl who started two weeks after I did. Will she too, be put on the chopping block?

We do not have history on our side. How do we prove that we are valuable in such a short amount of time? I am working extremely hard at this job to prove just how valuable I am. I have read countless articles about layoffs and how to avoid them. Let's face it. You cannot avoid a layoff if a decision has already been made months in advance. It's business and a business has to run its business how they see fit.

I refuse to live in fear. At my previous job I was so afraid of being laid off. It affected my productivity. The stress and anguish I put myself through was not worth it. I was miserable working for that company. Then one day, I finally I stopped caring. I embraced anything that would happen. Then, like a gift from God, I was given an opportunity to leave and accept a layoff deal. I took it and ran for the hills. It was the best decision of my professional life. I controlled my destiny.

I am much happier now. I have so much more confidence in my professional abilities. I am learning more and more each day. I am embracing my new job and absorbing as much information and knowledge as I can. I read white papers, take webinars, read articles, subscribe to RSS feeds via Outlook to be a better informed marketing professional. At my last job I didn't do that. I never embraced it. Now I am doing it. That's all I can do at this point. If I end up losing this job it won't be the end of the world. I am very motivated and skilled. I have money in the bank. I can collect unemployment again and search for another job while laying outside in the beautiful Southern California sunshine. Life won't be that bad. How bad could it really be?

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Anthony at 11:28 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader