Marathon Life

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Am I too old for marathons? Run tally ending Nov 15, 2009

I'm finally posting last week almost a week late. I believe my long distance running days are slowly fading away due to my age (almost 34) and just overall wear and tear on my body over the last 10 years. I started running longer distances in 2000. Nathan, if you are reading this, you were totally right. He said my knees would eventually go out on me. I feel them slipping away slowly, one by one. I have developed pain in my left knee. The same leg as my hamstring issue.

I thought I was supposed get better with age in regard to long distance running. Some of the greatest marathon champions are in their 30s. Even the Women's 2008 Olympic Marathon champion Constantina Dita won her gold medal at age 38! I know many runners in their 30s, 40s and 50s even who thrive and have faster marathon times than me. Ughh. I guess I am not as resilient as I thought I was.

The more and more I fight it, the harder it is to maintain the same level of training. I've been struggling with my hamstring injury since December 2007. Yes, almost 2 years ago. I went back to physical therapy again this week. Basically the injury has healed but left scar tissue deep inside it that needs to be smoothed out. I already knew this. So I was able to get it worked on and it was painful. She dug deep in there and got to the problem area using her elbows and fingers. We also did some other stretching and strengthening exercises.

I feel this PT is so much more effective compared to the PT at Mercy Hospital last year. They never really touched/massaged my injured area. Sports medicine PT is so much better for me. I wish I had realized this in 2008 when I just picked the closest PT place near my home. I should have specified a sports medicine facility. We'll see how it goes. I will go once per week. In the mean time, I have cut down some of my mileage and won't do any long stuff (more than 8 miles in a single run) for at least another few weeks.

Below is what I did before last Sunday, Nov 15.

Date
Time
Mileage
Min/ Mile
Notes
HR Max
HR Ave
Nov 10, 2009
43:24
6.13
7:04
My knees were ok. I didn't run for 2 days so I had more energy on this run.
169
(90%)

150
(80%)

Nov 11, 2009
24:42

3.51

7:03
I ran to the gym, 0.64, then did 2.23 on the treadmill and then 0.64 back. I also did upper body weights. I HATE the treadmills they ys
 ---
---
Nov 13, 2009
58:58
8.35
7:03
I ran outside around my neighborhood. I should have run more, like 12-13 but my body wasn't feeling it. I just ache too much. I ran mostly on concrete. That's the problem. How am I going to do a marathon that is mostly on concrete? I have to adapt my body.
173
(93%)
155 (83%)
Nov 14, 2009
29:03
4.26
6:48
I ran outside at night around my neighborhood. Sometimes I smell burning rubber and other chemicals in the air. It sucks that there are some industrial factories nearby that emit this pollution! I ran faster than normal since I just wanted it over with.
165
(88%)
153
(82%)
Week ending Nov 15, 2009
---

22.25

---
I had to decrease this week a little. My body wasn't feeling great. I don't know if a marathon is even possible this winter. Next week I'll cut down again then I will decide what I will do in terms of the marathon.

169
(90%)
152.6 (82%)

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Anthony at 2:29 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader